In the mobile web browser battle to offer the best security, speed and privacy, several contenders are upping their game to claim victory.
Google Chrome is the most widely used desktop and mobile web browser in the world, with over 60% market share as of 2018, and because of the number of iPhones sold, Apple’s Safari browser comes in second at 28.8%. However, there’s lots more choices out there, and to help you decide which one is the best fit for you, here’s our roundup of the top mobile web browsers that offer great speed, privacy, security and a whole lot of other cool features.
Chrome is a magnificent web browser when it comes to speed and security, but remember it is part of the larger Google ecosystem, which is built on advertising revenue.
- Incognito Mode allows you to browse the internet privately without saving website addresses or cookies.
- The Data Saver feature allows you to use up to 60% less data when browsing the web by compressing images, videos and other data-hungry elements on websites.
Apple’s iPhone is one of the best-selling smartphones across the world, so it’s no coincidence that its preloaded browser would be the second most used mobile web browser. For privacy, Safari is a great option.
- Allows you to prevent ad cross-tracking and block cookies on websites.
- Offline saving of web pages to read later in Safari Reading List.
Mozilla’s Firefox web browser is fast, customisable, and is emerging as one of the best options for people looking for privacy and data protection.
- Private Browsing Mode prevents your browsing history, cookies and tracking information from being stored.
- Extensions let you add extra functionality like ad blockers and video downloaders, as well as customise the look and feel of the browser (Android version only).
Mozilla also offers a second mobile browser called Firefox Focus, a lighter app with even more tools for privacy and security.
Opera Mini was built to give users a full web experience without devouring chunks of their data. It’s fast and efficient, and even shows you how much data you’ve saved compared to using standard mobile web browsers.
- Built for speed with the ability to block browser ads and compress website data in real time.
- Automatically scans websites for videos and media to download directly to your phone.
The Tor Browser is pretty much the most secure, private web browser in the world, and its finally coming to mobile (Android only for the time being). It guarantees that no one, including your ISP, can track what you do online or access your private data.
- Protects data and defends users against network surveillance and traffic analysis.
- Prevents websites from accessing your IP address.